The System Of Distance Education
Distance education system was initially shaped education correspondent who became known around the year 1720 as a form of adult education. Process analytical study using printed materials, known as self-instructional texts and combined them with written communication between teachers and students. In its development, the term education correspondent was considered too narrow. Then comes the term independent study (independent study), a home study (research at home) and external study (learning outside of school). New in 1970, simultaneously with the establishment of the Open University in the United Kingdom, the term distance education is becoming popular, and its use includes correspondence education, independent study, home study, and external study.
During the last few decades, four village the term distance education the United Kingdom which distance education, is used to describe various approaches to teaching and learning, home study, education correspondent, tele-education, open knowledge, and external reviews. Distance education system has two components, namely a method of distance learning (distance learning) and distance learning systems (teaching-learning) (Keegan, 1990). Distance learning system emphasizes to students and the learning process (learner-centered), while distancing learning system to focus more on the learning process, the Organization of teaching, as well as his tutor (teacher and system centered). Meanwhile, long-distance education system focuses on either side intact, both to students and their learning process as well as on the operation of teaching, organization, and his tutor system.
The System Of Distance Education
The year 1980 Keegan defined distance education system based on its analysis of the diverse interpretations and traditions of praxis. According To Keegan. Distance education system has the following characteristics:
- Separation of the students and teachers that distinguish distance education with face-to-face teaching.
- There is the influence of an educational organization that sets it apart with self-study at home (home study).
- The use of a variety of media — print, audio, video, computer, or multi media — to unify between students and teachers in a learning interaction.
- provision of two-way communication so that students can benefit from it and even took the initiative for dialogue.
- The possibility of meeting once in a while for the purposes of learning and socialization (learning geared to individuals, not to the Group).
- The learning process which has a similar shape to the process industry.
- the Restrictions, although it still feels too broad, in his time have been able to help explain a different education system (from other education systems and conventional) and complex.
- In general it can be concluded that the distance education system based on the separateness between students and teachers in space and time, utilization (package) materials designed and produced systematically, the communication does not continuous (non-contiguous) between students with students, tutors, and educational organizations through a variety of media as well as the existence of penyeliaan and monitoring of intensive education. Implisist in the sense of the independence of the students in their learning process through managing the utilization of various services, whether provided by educational organisations as well as those available in the immediate surroundings, as well as the existence of a process planning is done systematically by an educational organization. From the diverse definitions and an overview of the system of distance education, seen that the system of distance education very potential not only for the fulfillment of the needs of the independent study (individual and independent learning), but also for efforts educational equity in the form of mass education (mass education), especially in developing countries like Indonesia that are in desperate need of accelerating the process of improving the quality of human resources for development.
Distance Education Online
In the history of the development of education, information technology is part of the medium used to convey the science in many people, ranging from the printing media, such as books and communication media such as sound recorded on cassette, video, television, and cd.
Online services in education either styled or not is providing education services for users (students) using the internet as a medium. This online service can be consists over the various stages of the process of educational programs, such as the admission test, payment, lectures, assignments, case discussion cases, exams, assessments, discussions, announcements, and more.
This education can utilize internet technology to its fullest so give the effectiveness regarding time, place, even the enhance the quality of education.
Distance education online the during this public issue is the absence of interaction between lecturer and student. However, with the internet, it is very. It is possible to perform the communication between lecturers with students, either in the form of real-time (real time) or not. In the way of real-time can be done for example in a chatroom, direct interaction with real audio or real video, and online meeting. While that is not real time can be done by mailing list, discussion group, newsgroups, and bulletin board.
In this way, the interaction between lecturers and students processed might be replaced although not 100%. Material forms, exams, quizzes, and other educational ways can also be implemented into the web, such as material a lecturer is made in the form of presentations on the internet and can be downloaded by students. So also with exams and quizzes in the same way.
Distance education online overcomes the limitations on the types of distance education (which also already loaded technology), i.e., distance training by satellite and television technology.
In both the above technology, students still have to walk to his education; equipment is specialized and expensive. Now with online training through the internet, students can be taught himself at home with own operation computer.
- The perspective of Lecturer
From professors, online education solution must meet several criteria like, easy to use, allows the creation of online courses and online classes quickly and easily, requires only minimal training, allowing teaching in their way, allowing them to control the environment of learning.
- The student point of view
From students who sought is the flexibility in taking courses. Lecture materials obtained online are more precious than the obtained processed. Running the computer, they already have. Include interracial collaboration student like the traditional way, provides consultation with lecturers, class discussion, learning, and shared projects.
Web-based distance education Online basic concepts of traditional education systems is the students and professors meet at a specific place and time a. This system would later be shifted on distance education with based on that rather difficult to gather the participants of the course, training or other education at a particular time and place, whereas the most significant participants in different areas and primarily the materials should be delivered processed can be given without the presence of students and professors directly in class.
The development of information technology, mainly the internet presents to encourage the development of distance learning. Characteristics of internet technology that can always be accessed anytime, anywhere, multiuser, and offer all the facilities have made the internet a medium yan advances right for distance education.
When we say a web-based distance education as a community than in it should be able to facilitate the merging or interacting, students and lecturers. Kind of hard to move what professors do in front of the class on a web form which should involve several compounds in it. The existence of this system makes the mentality must change faculty and students, differences in the characteristics of Lecturer in teaching do not appear in this method, as well as colleges, this method should also be able to provide information to the lecture students, and should be accessed by lecturers and students as well as should always be updated all the time.
Distance education in the form of the web should have elements among others;
- the student activities Center, as a community web-based distance learning should be able to make this facility as a place for student activities, where students can add capabilities, reading a matter of College, looking for information and so on.
- The interaction within the group, the students, can use communication with each other to discuss the materials given to professors, lecturers can be present in the Group for providing a little review of the content provided.
- student administrative system, where the students can see information about the status of the student, the student’s achievements and others.
- digital library, i.e., the library information is not limited to books but also sound, images and so on. This section is the complementary and data-shaped base.
- Study material and exams, usually professors often hold brief quiz and tasks aimed at deepening of what has been taught and did the test at the end of their coursework.
- online Material outside the lecture material, to support lectures, required reading materials from other websites. Therefore, lecturers and students can be directly involved to provide additional content for publication to other students through the web.
To realize this is not an easy thing because of not only the required skill but also a variety of infrastructure and policy in the field of education influence the expansion.